HHW are products that contain corrosive, toxic, ignitable, or reactive substances including:
- Motor oils
- small mercury containing devices such as thermostats.
Improper disposal of HHW can harm human health and the environment.
HHW must be taken to the The Pitkin County Solid Waste Center (landfill) during regular business hours.
- Read labels carefully and follow warnings and handling instructions.
- Purchase products in the smallest quantities possible to get your job done.
- Use products completely before purchasing new.
- Store products securely in their original and clearly labeled containers.
- Look for less toxic alternatives.
- Plan ahead and give yourself time to dispose of HHW properly if you are moving.
- Don't pour them on ground, toilets, drains, storm sewers, or gutters.
- Don't mix chemicals or wastes unless you are sure they are compatible.
- Don't put liquid wastes in the trash unless they have been stabilized (dried out or solidified) for disposal.