The Consumer Protection Program is responsible for inspecting all restaurants and retail markets within the City of Aspen and ensuring their compliance with state laws and regulations. The Consumer Protection Program also investigates all reports of foodborne illness and provides technical expertise and training for the food service industry. This is accomplished by:
- Licensing and inspecting all retail food establishments including restaurants, grocery stores, delis, and mobile food units
- Participation in foodborne illness investigations associated with licensed and inspected facilities
- Plan reviews, inspection, and approval of all new or extensively remodeled food establishments
- Providing food safety training classes to ensure a basic knowledge of the key issues that are associated with safe food handling and food borne illness
- Investigating complaints of foodborne illnesses
If you wish to report a suspected foodborne illness please call (970) 920-5075.
Please be prepared to provide the following information:
- Your name
- Telephone number where you can be reached during working hours
- The name of the food service establishment implicated
- Information about your symptoms
- A detailed 72-hour food history
For current product recalls visit The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment's Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Recalls page.
To download a current version of the Colorado Retail Food Regulations click on the link:
Colorado Retail Food Regulations
If you have a current Colorado Retail Food Service License and would like to participate at a Special Event within the City of Aspen, you will need to submit the following application at least two weeks before the event will take place.
Special Event Application
If you are interested in opening a new retail food establishment, you will need to fill out a Restaurant Plan Review to be approved by the Environmental Health and Sustainability Department.
Restaurant Plan Review.
For more information about how to start a business that serves food to the public, see the City of Aspen Business Navigator Links below: