You must apply for a Temporary or Permanent Revocable Encroachment Permit when you plan to occupy, construct, place or maintain within the public Right of Way (ROW). Any person seeking an encroachment permit must submit an application to the Engineering Department. Revocable Encroachment Permits are required to assist the applicant and the city in ensuring the city standards are met and all safety measures are taken. See more details and applications for each permit type below.
Temporary Encroachment Permits are primarily used to facilitate construction. These usually include the following activities being performed within the ROW:
- Temporary construction of guardrail, pedestrian walkways, scaffolds, protective canopies, etc..
- Temporary storage of materials (e.g. merchandise, commodities, construction materials, etc..)
- Park or stage and operate construction equipment (e.g. Crane, Bulldozer, skid steer, etc..)
- Temporary placement of a field office, dumpster, loose material container, or construction fencing
Permanent Encroachment Permits are for applicants who wish to permanently occupy, construct, place or maintain within the City of Aspen ROW. These usually include the placement of snowmelt in sidewalks, mailbox, landscaping, sprinkler system or any other type of permanent object placed within the ROW.
| Encroachment - Permanent|
| Encroachment - Temporary|
| Construction Parking Permit|| (.pdf)|
The city reviews all encroachments with the following criteria considerations in mind:
1) Municipal Code and Law enforcement
2) Compliance with adopted Master Plans
3) Benefit to Community
You may also need a ROW permit prior to beginning the associated work.
Please see our ROW permits webpage to ensure you are in compliance.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What dates of the year am I permitted to work within the City of Aspen ROW?
Ans: Work is only permitted in the ROW between April 1st and November 1st. ROW work in the downtown core (See Core Map) is suspended between June 1st and Labor Day.
2. Are other contractors permitted to work within my encroachment area during my permit period?